Get Involved this June!
June is CMV Awareness Month, a yearly campaign that intends to educate women of childbearing age about the risks of congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) and offers support to those affected. For our CMV Awareness Advocates, we've compiled a bunch of different ways to increase awareness and raise funds for research towards prevention, screening, treatment, and vaccine development. You're sure to find an option that suits you and your crew.
Awareness Made Easy
1. Share Educational Fliers
A tried-and-true way to raise awareness is to post and share important and impactful fliers and graphics. See below for our prevention flier and prevention infographic.
2. Sign the Screen4CMV PLEDGE
We are advocating for congenital CMV to be added to the Recommended Uniform Screening Panel (RUSP), national recommendations that guide and support states in the development of their newborn screening programs. Screening every child for CMV at birth opens the door for early intervention, therapeutic support, the very best developmental outcomes possible. Sign the petition today
to show your support!
To make a quick and easy gift just text STOPCMV to 41411.
4. National CMV Foundation branded apparel and gifts
Make an online gift to the CMV Awareness campaign page and you'll receive either a CMV awareness t-shirt, car magnet, button set, or #StopCMV license plate frame. Wear or sport around town! And don't forget about Father's Day (hint, hint)! https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/2019-cmv-awareness-month
1. Facebook Fundraiser
Create a Facebook Fundraiser for National CMV Foundation
. Share it with your supporters and encourage them to join you in supporting National CMV Foundation.
2. Instagram Donate Sticker
Did you know you can now add a donate sticker to your Instagram story? The donate sticker can be accessed by opening the camera in the Instagram application, capturing or uploading a photo, tapping the sticker icon and selecting it from the tray. You can then choose National CMV as your nonprofit and customize the sticker to ask for contributions.
3. CMV Awareness Photo Frame for Facebook
- Go to www.facebook.com/profilepicframes
- Search 'CMV Awareness Month' then select your frame
- Click Use as Profile Picture to save
4. Social Media Posts
Social media platforms offer people opportunities and forums to discuss critical public health issues, like congenital CMV, as well as share awareness, education and prevention information. Here are a few sample posts and the downloadable Social Media Guide below has even more options.
- June is CMV Awareness month. @NationalCMV brings public awareness to congenital CMV as a public health priority through education and research. Join me in supporting @NationalCMV! #cmvawareness #stopcmv #screen4cmv
- Congenital CMV is the most common viral infection, and leading non-genetic cause of hearing loss, that infants are born with in the United States. Every pregnant woman is at risk of acquiring #CMV. And only 9% of women know about it. Get CMV Aware today - https://www.nationalcmv.org/overview/start-here. #cmvawareness #stopcmv #screen4cmv
- Spread the word, not the virus. 5 Simple Tips to Help Prevent #CMV - do not share food, utensils, drinks or straws, do not put a pacifier in your mouth, avoid contact with saliva when kissing a child, do not share a toothbrush, wash your hands. #cmvawareness #stopcmv #screen4cmv
- Join us and PLEDGE to put congenital #CMV on the Recommended Universal Screening Panel (#RUSP) to identify at-risk babies at birth and help improve developmental outcomes. Visit Screen4CMV.org to sign the petition today! #stopcmv #screen4cmv
Awareness @ Work & School
1. Add CMV Awareness to Your Email Signature
Share CMV Awareness with every email you send in June. Just copy the message below. Toggle to your inbox. Paste the message in your signature. Done!
"Every pregnant woman is at risk of acquiring CMV. Congenital Cytomegalovirus, or CMV, is the most common viral infection, and the leading non-genetic cause of hearing loss, that infants are born with in the United States. And only 9% of women know about it. Learn more."
2. Organize a CMV Awareness Month FUNdraiser
During a lunch break in June, for a $5 donation colleagues or classmates can challenge participating staff and co-workers in physical fitness challenges such as squats to #STOPCMV, russian twists for research, push-ups for prevention. Lots of fun, a little fitness - great for CMV Awareness! Make sure to capture the fun and share on social using our hashtags!
Awareness @ Play
Cycle studios are all the rage these days and they're a great place to host a fundraising event! Most studios will provide the class space and instructor and all rider fees can go right back to National CMV Foundation. Please contact us
for help getting started.
2. Kids Art Contest
School's out for summer! And that means you're in need of activities to keep the kiddos busy! Beginning in June, we'll be accepting #STOPCMV artwork submissions. We'll pick a handful of winners and produce holiday cards for purchase. See below for contest details.
Get Down to Business
1. Giveback Campaign
Givebacks (typically at restaurants, a portion of sales is given back to a select non-profit organization or campaign on a specific date) are another great way to raise awareness and funds for National CMV Foundation. Reach out to local restaurants and retailers to inquire about their giveback programs.
2. Cents 4 CMV Awareness
Many businesses are keen to show support for charitable causes. A roundup campaign is a great way for the business to show support for charitable work. You've probably been asked to contribute to a roundup campaign when you're checking out at a grocery or retail store - "do you want to roundup to the next dollar to support XYZ charity?" Why not make National CMV that XYZ?!? We're calling our campaign "Cents 4 CMV Awareness". All you need to do is find businesses in your community to approach. Below is a sample letter to use when making your pitch.
Share Your Personal Story
1. Many Faces of Congenital CMV
Submit a photo of your CMV kiddo and/or family and 1-2 sentence testimonial about how congenital CMV has impacted your child or family. Throughout the month, we'll feature a photo and testimonial each day for our 'Many Faces of Congenital CMV' series using the hashtag #CMVkids. Click here
to submit via email.
Create Your Own Fundraiser or Event
1. Host a Fundraising Event
Create an event or fundraising activity that fosters competition, shows your expertise, or simply allows you to be social—for example, from brunch to a bowling tournament—where all proceeds support National CMV Foundation. Visit the National CMV Foundation Crowdrise Page to create an event fundraising page
or contact us
for help getting started.
Whatever you do for CMV Awareness Month, know that every effort counts! And for maximum exposure, be sure to share on social with hashtags #StopCMV, #CMVAwareness and #CMVKids.